We built our enemies in regards to the character's moveset we made. Each enemy challenges specific skills and all skills are covered by our enemy set.
We suggested simple & functional character designs to the art team as a basis to iterate upon and to be able to meet deadlines. For example, the spike catcher design matches its behaviour without the need to add hard-to-animate hands.
I worked inside the engine using Unity's animator and used a custom finite state machine tool
to implement enemies into the game.
I worked hand-in-hand with the AI programmer to be able to do faster refinements on the enemies.
To balance the game, I used internal feedback from the team combined with mathematical balancing based on the target player behaviours we wanted to have.
To be able to get a better grasp on our 3Cs as soon as possible, I prototyped some parts of our character controller and added gamefeel elements such as animations.
To test our 3Cs and gamefeel early on, we prototyped toys such as breakable objects that are shown in the adjacent gif.